We know, moving in itself is stressful. Multiply that stress level exponentially when children are involved — whether that be moving with kids out of state or a few towns over, moving with kids after divorce, or even moving with small toddlers.
While there can be many unfortunate circumstances, moving is quite often, for positive reasons. Be sure to include your children in the process so they know it is an exciting time for the whole family.
Before the move:
- Harness the good in change, and frame the move as a grand adventure. Conduct a family meeting to discuss the move and to plan a fun event, such as an outing to your local ice cream shop or day at the beach, after the move is complete.
- Remove the unknown by planning ahead and creating a moving day plan so your children know what to expect. Keep the move a daily topic, especially as the day nears. You’ll pick up on anxiety triggers allowing you to head off potential issues ahead of time.
- Plan a new room! Parents can make it easier on their children by allowing them to pick out room colors or other fun items such as a bean bag chair, inexpensive tent, or a wall decal of their favorite cartoon character.
During the move:
- Make introductions to the drivers on move day. Our movers care about pets and kids, and there are countless stories of our teams going above and beyond for our clients’ loved ones. While moving can be stress-filled, professional movers know they are hired to minimize this to any degree they’re able.
- Take advantage of opportunities to be inclusive with your children. Many kids just want to have a place in the process. There are opportunities abound that give them a role while keeping them out of the fray, such as last minute dusting or grabbing the movers water. Ensure their special tasks are safe but rewarding.
- Keep your children’s most prized possessions close by utilizing a box or special tote bag specifically for your day of the move. Special toys and comfort objects can be right by your child’s side, and is a sure-fire way to relax them and reduce anxiety. You can find a special Truckie bag or other fun items for your move, here.
- If your children are old enough, be sure you’ve stocked up on books or activities to keep them occupied as you may be tied up helping with the moving process. We’ve developed a fun Travelin’ Truckie activity book for children to use during move day. You can download a free, four-page coloring book complimentary of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® here. We’ve also partnered with Highlights to create a fun activity sheet to keep them busy during the entire moving process. Download a printable activity sheet, here.
After the move:
- Unpacking can take time, so take a break and explore your new neighborhood! Give older children the responsibility of finding fun new places, such as hiking trails, playgrounds, or even a local pizza joint.
- Get to know your new neighbors, and introduce your children to the neighbor kids. Your children will grow up in this new home, and it’s important for them to get to know children in the area whom they may see every day. A new friendship could blossom!
- If your children are going to a new school, be sure they are familiar with where things are located in the building and even check out if there are opportunities for them to join any extracurricular activities.
If you’re able to handle your experience with a little extra TLC while following these moving with kids tips, your transition will be memorable for all the right reasons.
Be sure to also check out our moving with kids’ checklist to get you prepared for the big day!
For kids who love to color!
Looking for a way to keep the young ones entertained during the moving process? Print off this TWO MEN AND A TRUCK coloring page! This detailed outline will help keep anyone occupied as they fill in Truckie traveling through the city.
"The moving guys that came out were great with my kids and very understanding and willing to go above and beyond expected service to make my move stress free. THANK YOU!!!"Jasen
"They were prompt, friendly and efficient. They were also very kid friendly and explained things to the kids, which made them feel very special and included. I will definitely recommend them to others!!"Rebecca
"Two movers were great. Great attitude and very respectful. They were patient with kids and just had a great sense of humor. Such a hard job but they were outstanding!"Colleen
"Best moving company ever!!! Jose, Jose and Chandler are awesome!!! They are courteous, professional and went above and beyond! Not a single scratch on anything and nothing broken! They took great care of everything and I am so grateful! We will recommend this company to everyone we know!"Colleen