Some people choose to handle the move on their own while others seek the help of professionals like our moving teams at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. Throughout the years, the number one question we get about hiring professional movers has always remained the same: How much does it cost to move?
The answer? It’s based on a variety of different factors, all of which play a critical role in determining the final bill for your move. Local moving rates are different than long-distance moving costs, and determining the cost of movers is dependent on factors such as how much you’re moving, how far you’re moving, and the time it takes to complete the move.
If you want to know the moving company cost for TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, we’ll do our best below to explain how our moving rates are calculated to give you a better idea of what impacts your price.
What determines the cost of a move?
These are the next steps in how you determine moving cost estimate, and this is where you’ll really want to pay attention, as these details you’ll have some control over when it comes to pricing.
It’s important to note that moving rates vary by location on a state-to-state basis, so a move in California and a move in Iowa will be priced differently. Working with a moving consultant at your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise will help provide a better insight into these rates and how they’re factored into the bill.
With long-distance moves, the cost is determined by the belongings you’re moving and the miles it will take to travel to your new location. The more you move – and the longer the drive is – the more it’s going to cost. Pretty simple!
With local home moving, it’s important to remember moves are generally charged on an hourly basis, so things that have an impact on the time of the move are all contributors to the final cost.
Factors that impact the cost of your move include:
- The start and end time of the move
- The driving distance between the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK office, your old home, and your new home
- The distance it takes the movers to walk to and from the moving truck
- The amount of time it takes the moving team to load and unload your belongings
- Flights of stairs and how much travel on them is necessary
- Disassembling and reassembling furniture requirements
- How many movers are needed for the job
- Packing and unpacking
- Any necessary extra stops
All of these must be considered before scheduling a move so you have an idea of what’s going to affect the final bill. When working with your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise to build your free moving estimate, we strongly encourage all customers to be as transparent as possible when providing your move consultant with details. Any additional surprises or missing information can create a barrier on moving day that leads to additional time being added, which will result in a higher bill.
How can I save money on my move?
There are times of the year that are busier than others, and this is something to consider when planning your move date. Weekends are the most requested time of the week to book a move, and you will find our schedules are mostly full on these days. Similarly, the summer months are considered our busiest time of year, typically May through August. We recommend contacting your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise at least one month in advance of your desired moving date.
Time is the biggest factor in the cost of a local home move, and anything you can do to cut down on time can go a long way in saving you money.
Here are a few of our best money-saving tips to cut down on the cost of hiring movers:
- Be honest about how much you’re moving so the team can send the proper number of trucks and movers to get the job done
- Disassemble all furniture and beds prior to moving day so the moving team doesn’t have to handle this before loading items onto the truck
- Have your belongings packed away safely and securely so the movers don’t have to spend time packing and can get right to loading when they arrive
- Create a centralized location in your home for belongings so your move team can quickly grab and load items onto the truck
- Label all boxes clearly and efficiently so the moving team knows where to unload them at your new house
All of these can make a big difference in cutting down on time, which can make a big difference in saving you money! For more ideas on how to save time on your move, work with your move consultant and find out what can make their process more efficient when they arrive at your home.