As the weather heats up, so does moving season, with 380,000 moves expected by leading moving company TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® from May through October. Consumers may be tempted to hire movers who offer the cheapest quote, but not all moving companies are created equally. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, the nation’s largest moving franchise, has compiled the top 10 tips to help guide consumers to hire movers they can trust.
Choosing a moving company that can be trusted with personal belongings can be difficult. Below, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® has compiled a list of tips to protect consumers:
- Hire a licensed company – Be sure to only use a licensed moving company and check for a valid U.S. Department of Transportation number on the main DOT website.
- Find reassurance in valuation– Even if movers are bonded and insured, verify if belongings are covered during the move. Some states require a valuation of 60 cents per pound of coverage but in many cases additional valuation can be purchased for the move
- Avoid imposters – Visit the official site of the moving company and ensure there is a local address and the office is staffed
- Get a real quote – Inspect the website to ensure they will not sell personal information to other movers to provide the quote and avoid sites that feature multiple quotes from different companies. Never pay for an estimate and consider an on-site estimate to ensure accuracy for larger moves.
- Inquire about the movers –TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® movers are all properly trained, background tested and drug screened. Be careful if choosing to move forward with a company that employs temporary or day laborers and does not have Workers’ Compensation coverage should anything happen.
- Research options – The Internet is filled with reviews and comments on social media pages, so take the time to read about pros and cons of a potential company. Learn from customers’ experiences and look into complaints on the Better Business Bureau website, as well. Understand, not every move can be perfect, but if the company is taking time to respond to customers comments and work toward resolution, it is a good sign.
- Don’t fall for a too good to be true price – If the price seems like it is too good, it probably is going to cause headaches and problems down the line. Moving is expensive – even if completed without movers – be sure to look at all of your options as it’s best to go into the process prepared. Also, never move forward with a company that only accepts cash.
- Check for hidden fees – When asking about pricing, be sure to understand what is included and if there are cancelation fees or a nonrefundable deposit. Most companies will refund a deposit if within a certain amount of days before the move, and see if there are extra fees for stairs, mileage or large items. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® includes complimentary padding and stretch wrap to protect furniture, but not all companies will.
- Reputation is important – Many reputable movers belong to the American Moving and Storage Association. Identify if a prospective company is a member before booking a move.
- Ask for references – Get advice from friends and family who have had a good experience with movers. Did they feel like they were communicated with throughout the process and were told a window of time for the movers to arrive? Don’t forget to ask questions to feel confident with booking a company.
To bring the company’s top-notch service and experience to more people across the U.S., TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® recently launched a new, long-distance move solution: Value Flex®. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® has always offered an expedited move service, which transports a customer’s belongings directly to their new residence. As a cost-saving solution for customers, the Value Flex® service offers a reduced price on long-distance moves by efficiently planning move logistics. A Value Flex® move utilizes the service of a dedicated TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® long-haul carrier to transport the container to another TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® franchise near the customer’s final destination. From there, that local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® team will make the delivery and unload items at the customer’s new location. With this new service available, choosing both a trustworthy short and long-distance mover has never been easier.