We know, moving in itself is stressful. Multiply that stress level exponentially when children are involved. While in many circumstances, moving is for positive reasons, be sure to include your children in the process so they know it is an exciting time for the whole family.
Remember, oftentimes they are letting go of the only home they’ve ever known, so identifying ways to ensure your child’s experience is a positive one is easier than you might expect.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® movers are encouraged to meet the child at his or her level. Once the child feels comfortable with the people who are hired to move the entire contents of their life, the anxiety is diffused and the child is more apt to join in the adventure.
Here are five key thoughts to consider when moving with small ones:
1) Harness the good in change, and frame the move as a grand adventure. Plan a fun event after the move is complete. Make a favorite meal or buy a new piece of furniture you know they’ll love, like a bean bag, canopy netting for the bed, an inexpensive tent for the new room, or a wall decal of their favorite cartoon character.
2) Remove the unknown by planning ahead. Keep the move a daily topic, especially as the day nears. You’ll pick up on anxiety triggers allowing you to head off potential issues.
3) Pack special toys and lovies in a carry-on that never leaves the child’s side. Keeping their favorite things close is a sure-fire way to curry comfort and reduce anxiety.
4) Make introductions to the drivers on move day. Our movers care about pets and kids, and there are countless stories of our teams going above and beyond for our clients’ loved ones. While moving can be stress-filled, professional movers know they are hired to minimize this to any degree they’re able.
5) Take advantage of opportunities to be inclusive with your children. Many kids just want to have a place in the process. There are opportunities abound that give them a role while keeping them out of the fray. Ensure their special tasks are safe but rewarding.
If you and your chosen movers handle your children’s experience with TLC, your move will be memorable for all the right reasons.
Click here for a checklist to help move your family.
Special move gear
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® wants to help make this process easier for families. We have two great items just for kids: Truckie’s Treasure Chest and the “Traveling with Truckie” journal.
Truckie’s Treasure Chest is a unique box designed for kids to pack their own items. The box is easy to carry and can be personalized.
The “Traveling with Truckie” journal strives to help children become more comfortable with moving. It is filled with games, space to write and draw, and coloring pages. It helps kids feel more involved through activities such as writing their feelings about moving and drawing their new home.
You can download a free four-page coloring book complimentary of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® by clicking on the image below.
Check out additional items for your kids on our Two Men Gear site.